- Forell/Elsesser provided structural engineering services for this new 88,000 s.f. 3-story educational facility utilizing the Design/Build delivery method. This new steel framed building houses classrooms, offices, computer rooms, and teaching laboratories for several health education programs including the wellness center, cosmetology program, nursing and dental programs, and a fitness center. The structure has special concentric braced frames and reinforced concrete shear walls.
- The building is located on a sloping site and is structurally broken down into separate west and east wings separated by a seismic joint at all levels.
- To obtain LEED Silver Certification, the design team crushed and reused all of the concrete resulting from the demolition of the old buildings, used structural steel framing with high recycled content, and used integrated sun shading devices to defuse some of the direct sunlight and reduce energy costs.
- This new Design/Build facility houses the San Mateo Athletic Club, as well as the school’s cosmetology, nursing and dental programs. The Athletic Club includes 14,000 s.f. dedicated to cardiovascular, strength training and open workout areas, while 5,500 s.f. of space is dedicated to group fitness, including spinning, group exercise classes, yoga and Pilates.
- Many project challenges were addressed by the team during the design and construction to ensure the success of this project, including accelerated construction documents for the structural work, and constant collaboration with the design team to deliver coordinated documents within a fast-paced timeline, saving two months off of the estimated construction time. By saving two months off of the estimated construction schedule, the project also saved $250,000 off the original budget.
The College of San Mateo Health & Wellness Building 5 sits of one end of the new campus center area which includes the new Student Services and Faculty Administration Building as well as the newly landscaped plaza and fountain area. Customized Solution
- General Contractor: McCarthy Building Companies, Inc., Architect: Kwan Henmi
- Owner: Community College of San Mateo
- Steel framed with special concentric braced frames and reinforced concrete shear walls
- The building sits adjacent to two new swimming pools, including an outdoor olympic size pool